Running criminal back in custody

Matthew Joseph Wishart
Nanjing Night Net

A MAN who ran out of court after being given a jail term has served far more time behind bars than his original sentence.

Matthew Joseph Wishart, 22, was taken back into custody a month after fleeing the Albury courthouse on November 14 and running through QEII Square.

He had been given a two-week jail term for breaching an apprehended violence order and was on parole when he was sentenced.

Despite being warned by magistrate Darryl Pearce against fleeing the courtroom as he made his way to the door, Wishart left before corrections staff could stop him.

Court documents note he didn’t want to get locked up due to fears ofother inmates.

Despite being given only two weeks in jail, Wishart has now spent nearly seven weeks in custody since being recaptured.

He still faces the prospect of more time in prison.

The 22-year-old had failed to abide by the law while on the run, and came to the attention of police following a vicious assault on his ex-partner.

Wishart was heavily intoxicated when he went around to the woman’s Kestrel Street home about midday on December 17.

She reluctantly allowed him to enter amid concerns for his state and he fell asleep on her couch.

The woman went to bed and when she awoke, she saw Wishart urinating on her kitchen floor.

The mother of two told him to leave and he reacted violently, throwing items around the kitchen and knocking over a Christmas tree she had set up for her children.

A neighbour heard the dispute and entered the home to remove Wishart, and the two men started punching on and wrestling.

The man pulled Wishart from the home, onto the front lawn, and Wishart’s ex-partner tried to break up the fight as they laid into each other.

He kicked the woman in the back so hard, it knocked her to the ground and he fled the scene.

Police arrested him at nearby Sarvaas Park a short time later.

He was treated for a deep cut to his foot and has been in custody since.

Police facts note Wishart had shown “no respect for magistrate Pearce’s direction” when he ran from the court.

He appeared before Albury Local Court on Tuesday and will return for sentencing next Thursday.

His priors include a previous incident of escaping police custody.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 南京夜网